Pepe García is the founder and creative director of Culdesac, a Valencia-based design consultancy whose interdisciplinary work encompasses spaces, products, branding, events, communication and public relations.
The company has designed experiences for major international brands including Aston Martin, Bentley, Tiffany & Co and the LVMH Group. Receiving international recognition along with various awards, Culdesac is today considered one of the most prolific studios within the Spanish creative scene.
Visiting Australia in 2015, Pepe collaborated with Mobilia to design exhibitions for the first instalments of the Design Circus charity event, which aims to enrich good design in Perth. The concept started in Australia as an evolution of Pepe’s own successful event held in Madrid.
Pepe shares with us his recipe for squid and rice, which, according to him, is a dish to be enjoyed with those you love.
2 kg squid
1.5 kg rice
1 garlic clove
Extra virgin olive oil
1 glass white wine
6 garlic bulbs
- Add 100ml of extra virgin olive oil to a deep frying pan on a medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add half of the garlic and sauté until they become golden.
- Cut the onion into small squares and add to the pot, mixing together.
- Turn the heat to low and let the mixture cook until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the squid and stir, letting it cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the wine and turn up the heat to medium for 2 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add 100ml of extra virgin olive oil to a frying pan.
- Once the pan is hot, add the remainder of the garlic and fry until it becomes golden.
- Take the garlic out of the pan and add the rice, stirring to coat it with the olive oil.
- Reduce the pan to a medium-low heat, cooking the rice mixture for 5 minutes.
- Once the rice is fried, add half a litre of boiling water.
- Cover the pan and keep it on a medium heat for 7 minutes.
Add two spoons of rice to a deep dish and a spoonful of the squid on top.